Douglass Park and Douglass Center

Douglass Park and Douglass Center

Image Credit:
Left: Douglass Center, c. late 1940s, Champaign County Archives, Urbana Free Library, Urbana, Illinois │ Right: Douglass Center, Courtesy of Champaign Park District

510-512 E. Grove St., Champaign, IL

The Park and Center are named for the great African American orator and abolitionist, Frederick Douglass. In 1941, the Douglass Community Service Committee began an effort to raise funds for a new complex, to be built on two empty lots. Ground broke in 1944 and the Center was completed in 1946. The Center held classes in art, music, and sewing, among other activities. Athletics included adult softball, baseball, basketball, track, and tennis. The Center hosted many social events. One of the groups that brought national recognition to the Center was its Drum and Bugle Corps and Drill Team. In 1975, 200 residents protested the decision by the Park Board to demolish the old Douglass Center and replace it with a new gym. The group advocated for the old Center to be replaced with a new, full-service, comprehensive Center. After much discussion between the community and the Park Board, the “old” Center was torn down and a new Center was constructed. It opened on December 12, 1976. In March 1978, the Douglass Annex opened with a focus on senior citizens, and in 1997 the Douglass Branch Library moved into its current site.

Continue Reading History Show Less

By 1940, the African American population in Champaign-Urbana was beginning to grow rapidly, and residents recognized the need for a permanent facility dedicated to serving the broad recreational and social interests of Black residents. A committee formed and successfully raised funds for a new recreation complex adjacent to Douglass Park. Construction began on February 18, 1945, and the Douglass Community Center opened later that year.

For generations of residents, the Douglass Center became a second home where they could play, participate in team activities, take classes, and attend civic meetings and social events. Programming at the Douglass Center catered to countless interests, including baseball, track and field, boxing, roller skating, theatre, dance, music, art, crafts, and more.

Among the most celebrated programs at the Douglass Center were the all-male Drum Corps and the all-female Drill Team. While the Drum Corps marched and played the drums, the Drill Team would dance to their beat. In 1968, the Drum Corps entered the National Elks Competition held in New York City and competed against 346 other Drum Corps teams from all fifty states. Despite steep odds and tough competition, the Douglass Center Drum Corps won first place. Their victory made national news and was celebrated at home and across the country.

After decades of use, the original Douglass Center building was torn down and a new facility opened on December 12, 1976. The decision to rebuild the Douglass Center sparked conversation, and residents organized and advocated to ensure that the new center would continue to adequately serve the community. In March 1978, the Douglass Annex opened with a focus on senior programming. It added extra space for classes, meetings, and community use.

The Douglass Community Center and Park continue to provide daily recreational activities, annual festivals, and celebrations. They remain the vibrant center of Champaign County’s African American community.

This trail stop is sponsored by:

Champaign Park District

Decade:

1940-1949

Location(s):

  • Champaign, Illinois

Additional Champaign Trail Sites

Business

North First Street Corridor, Champaign

North First Street Corridor is the oldest business district in Champaign, dating to the 1850s. A triangular area that originally included East Main Street, University Avenue, and the first two blocks of North First Street, it bordered an integrated working-class neighborhood called Germantown.

Community

Social and Religious Life

Salem Baptist Church

Located at 500 E. Park Street in Champaign, Salem Baptist Church was initially established in 1867, the same year the University of Illinois was established, as Second Baptist Church at 406 E. Park ("the Old Coffee Place"). In 1874, the original church was destroyed by arson. After occupying locations at Swannell Drug Store at Main and Hickory, and on East Clark Street, the church bought the land at its current location in 1901 and began construction in 1908. It was renamed as Salem Baptist Church.

Education

Booker T. Washington School

Booker T. Washington Elementary School was built to replace Lawhead School and opened in 1952. Designed by Berger-Kelley Associates, it was a K-6 building serving Black children in the neighborhood. Odelia Wesley, formerly a first grade teacher at Lawhead, was principal and led an all-Black staff. She remained at the school as principal from 1952–1972. In 1968, Booker T. Washington School was established as a magnet program in partnership with the University of Illinois, as a part of Unit #4’s desegregation plans to promote voluntary integration. While Black families would have to bus their children to southwest Champaign to integrate the schools there, white families could voluntarily choose to send their children to Washington School to access “innovative” instructional programs. Following the retirement of Mrs. Wesley, Mrs. Hester Suggs assumed the principalship (1972–1993) and developed an award-winning arts and humanities-based program which continued under the leadership of Dr. Arnetta Rodgers (1993–2000).

Business

Civil Rights, Social Justice, & Politics

Community

The J.C. Penney Boycott and Picketing Campaign

During the 1950s and 1960s, African Americans fought for equal opportunity in employment across the nation. In Champaign-Urbana, the Champaign-Urbana Improvement Association (CUIA) was founded to demand greater job opportunities for African Americans, resulting in one of the most influential local civil rights victories known as the J.C. Penney Boycott.

Community

Sergeant Allen A. Rivers, Sr.

Allen A. Rivers, Sr. was hired as the first and, at the time, only African American in the Champaign Police Department on August 1, 1935. He worked for 33 years as a policeman rising from a “beat cop” to a motorcycle cop, and then to Sergeant before retiring. He was known as never having to fire his gun in pursuit of a criminal or during an arrest.

Community

Albert R. Lee

Albert R. Lee was born on June 26, 1874, on a farm outside of Champaign, Illinois. He attended the University of Illinois in 1894, and in 1895 he became the second African American hired at the university. He started as a messenger, but then became the clerk for the Office of the President. Lee served under six university Presidents. At a time when African Americans were not allowed to live on campus, he took it upon himself to assist them with housing and maneuvering through school, becoming known as the unofficial Dean of African American Students.