Skelton Park

Skelton Park

Image Credit:
Experience Champaign-Urbana

101 E. Washington St., Champaign

Skelton Park, a pocket park at the corner of N. First Street and E. Washington Street, is designed to pay homage to Champaign County's history of locally, nationally, and internationally recognized African American musicians.

Continue Reading History Show Less

Skelton Park was renovated in 2023 and 2024 as part of the Champaign County African American Heritage Trail with support from the Experience Champaign-Urbana Foundation, Champaign Park District, Rotary Club of Champaign, City of Champaign, Champaign County, and the  Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. Co-Chairs of the Heritage Trail, Barbara Suggs Mason and Angela Rivers, as well as musician Nathaniel Banks were instrumental to the park’s design and development.

Its centerpiece is a sculpture by African American artist Preston Jackson that is designed to reflect a variety of musical instruments and genres of significance to local Black musicians. The sculpture is surrounded by a small plaza, lighting, a seating wall, and a sloped berm. Pathways invite residents and visitors to enter the park where they can play with interactive musical instruments and view bricks that were donated and inscribed by numerous community members to support the park’s development. A “Wall of Fame” sign that acknowledges specific African American musicians is planned for late 2024.

A ribbon cutting for Skelton Park was held on June 7, 2024. The event was attended by dozens of residents, supporters, and community members with connections to African American musicians from Champaign County.

Wall celebrating African American MusiciansCelebrate Our Black Music

This monument in Skelton Park is in honor of the many Black musicians from the Champaign-Urbana area.  Learn more about this project and how artists were selected. The following is a list of artists, by time period, with genre and primary instrument included (bios of all artists are underway):

1890s-1920s

Chester W. Brewer, March Music, Brass

Preston Bridgewater, Early Jazz, Coronet

Ray Hines, Early Jazz, Drums

Benjamin Franklin Nash, Early Jazz, Composer

George Washington Riley, March Music, Drums

Raymond “Mac” Scott, Jazz, Saxophone

 

1930s-1950s

Harold “Pete” Bridgewater, Jazz, Bass

Cecil Bridgewater Sr., Jazz, Trumpet

Earnest “Earnie” Hite, Jazz/R&B, Keyboard

Luster J. “Lus” Hite, Jazz, Drums

Jerry Lynch, Jazz

Cecil Pope, Sacred Music, Pipe organ

Ellen Rivers, Jazz, Keyboard

Jerry Graham Valentine, Jazz, trombone

Julia Walden Valentine, Classical, Keyboard (pianist)

Hattie Winfield, Classical, Vocalist

 

1960s-1980s

Steve Alexander, Jazz, Drums

Komala “Willie” Amoaku, Jazz, Master drummer

Darnell Banks, Jazz, Tenor sax

Deborah Banks, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Nathaniel Banks, Jazz, Trumpet

Dee Dee Bridgewater, Jazz , Vocals

Ron Bridgewater, Jazz, Reeds

Cecil Bridgewater Jr., Jazz, Trumpet

Barbara Burton, R&B, Vocals

Walter Burton, R&B, Vocals

Willie Burton, R&B, Keyboard

Vickie Capo, R&B, Vocals

Pauli Carman, R&B, Vocals

Russell E. Cheatham, R&B, Keyboard

Tom “TT” Coleman, R&B, Vocals

Ollie Watts Davis, Sacred Music, Vocalist

Alvin De Sayles, R&B, Vocals

Sylvia  De Sayles, Jazz, Vocals

Wayne Easley, Sacred Music, Keyboard

William “Count Demon” Evans, Jazz, Drums

Freddie Fletcher, R&B, Vocals

Gerald “Candy” Foster, R&B, Vocals

Jimmy Hill, R&B, Keyboard

Walter “Jelly” Hines, Jazz, Drums

Louis Hite, Jazz/R&B, Drums

Elzie Howell, R&B, Tenor Sax

Carlyle Johnson, Jazz, Reeds

Francis Johnson, Jazz, Tenor sax

Earl Jones, R&B, Drums

Chester Knox, R&B, Keyboard

Leroy Knox, R&B, Vocals

Milton Curtis Knox, R&B, Keyboard

Bobby Lane, R&B, Guitar, Director

Eddie Lane, R&B, Drums, Director

Michael Lane, R&B, Keyboards

Ricky Lane, R&B, Drums

Lenard Leavell, R&B, Alto Saxophone

Terry Marshall, R&B, Keyboard

Charles McClain, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Eugene  “Brother Jack” McDuff, Jazz, Keyboard

Maurice McKinley, Jazz, Drums

Billy McMullen, R&B, Drums

Roy Milton, Jazz,

Milton Norwood, March Music, Drums

Lamont Parsons, Jazz, Guitar

Clyde Perkins, R&B, Drums

Carla Peyton, R&B, Vocals

Robert Ray, Classical, Keyboard

Oscar Scully, Jazz, African Drums

Guido Sinclair, Jazz, Alto saxophone

Donald Smith, Jazz, Vocals

Barbara Suggs Mason, Classical, Vocalist

Willie T. Summerville, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Todd Taylor, Sacred Music, Keyboard

William Warfield, Classical, Vocalist

Larry Welch, R&B, Bass guitar

Tony Zamora, Jazz, Reeds

 

1980s-2020s

Christopher Brian (Ludacris) Bridges, Hip Hop, Vocals

Noah I.  Brown, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Charlie Butts, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Ryan Byfield, R&B, Keyboard

Dawn Clark, R&B, Vocals

Mary Clark, R&B, Vocals

Barrington Coleman, Classical, Vocalist

Steve Davis, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Sam Hankins, Jazz, Trumpet

Cynthia Haymon, Classical, Vocalist

Kevin Hines, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Lamont Holden, Hip Hop,

Clarence Hudson, R&B, Keyboard

Christopher Lane, R&B, Guitar

William “Will” Patterson, Hip Hop

Danny Phillips, R&B, Drums

Sandy Phillips, R&B, Vocalist

James Pryor, Jazz, Keyboard

Rochelle Sennet, Classical, Keyboard

Eugene Washington, Sacred Music, Keyboard

Brenda Williams, Classical, Vocalist

Margaret Porter Wright, Sacred Music, Keyboard

 

 

Decade:

2020-2029

Location(s):

  • Champaign, Illinois

Additional Champaign Trail Sites

Education

Lawhead School

Harriet J. Lawhead School, built in 1907, was a small, four-room building. During its early years, it served German and Italian immigrants in the neighborhood. As African Americans moved into the area, the school was integrated for a period of time, but by the 1940s it was attended only by Black students. White children who lived in the area were sent to Columbia School. During World War II, two rooms in the basement of the school were used as a Servicemen’s Club, organized by community members for African American soldiers who were not welcomed in the USO at Chanute Field. The school was closed in 1952, prior to the opening of the new Booker T. Washington School and razed in 1990. It is now a parking lot.

Community

Social and Religious Life

Salem Baptist Church

Located at 500 E. Park Street in Champaign, Salem Baptist Church was initially established in 1867, the same year the University of Illinois was established, as Second Baptist Church at 406 E. Park ("the Old Coffee Place"). In 1874, the original church was destroyed by arson. After occupying locations at Swannell Drug Store at Main and Hickory, and on East Clark Street, the church bought the land at its current location in 1901 and began construction in 1908. It was renamed as Salem Baptist Church.

Community

Education

Champaign Public Library Douglass Branch

The Douglass Center Library was organized in 1970 to serve both Urbana and Champaign, a joint project of the two cities’ libraries, Lincoln Trail Libraries System, and the Champaign Park District. The Library was named for Frederick Douglass, the American abolitionist and journalist who escaped from slavery and became an influential lecturer — including at least one stop in Champaign.

Community

Frederick Douglass’ Visit to Champaign

Frederick Douglass visited Champaign on February 15, 1869, at Barrett Hall, located above what was Henry Swannell's Drug Store, now One Main Plaza. His topic was Self-Made Men. It was reported that, “His wit was keen and sparkling, his humor dry and effective, and his logic and argument as clear as that of the most polished orator in the land.” Champaign County Gazette, February 17, 1869, page 1

Education

Booker T. Washington School

Booker T. Washington Elementary School was built to replace Lawhead School and opened in 1952. Designed by Berger-Kelley Associates, it was a K-6 building serving Black children in the neighborhood. Odelia Wesley, formerly a first grade teacher at Lawhead, was principal and led an all-Black staff. She remained at the school as principal from 1952–1972. In 1968, Booker T. Washington School was established as a magnet program in partnership with the University of Illinois, as a part of Unit #4’s desegregation plans to promote voluntary integration. While Black families would have to bus their children to southwest Champaign to integrate the schools there, white families could voluntarily choose to send their children to Washington School to access “innovative” instructional programs. Following the retirement of Mrs. Wesley, Mrs. Hester Suggs assumed the principalship (1972–1993) and developed an award-winning arts and humanities-based program which continued under the leadership of Dr. Arnetta Rodgers (1993–2000).

Community

Carver Park

In 1951, African American civic leader Charles Phillips saw a need for quality single-family housing in the Black Community. So, he put together a “grass roots” coalition of friends and acquaintances to buy ten acres of farmland and hired developer Ozier-Weller Homes. Each family put up $350.00 to develop the 70-home subdivision named after African American scientist and inventor George Washington Carver. It was Champaign-Urbana’s first subdivision financed and built by African Americans.